Monday, February 16, 2009

First Post!

Well I am finally doing it...I am blogging!
This is one of two firsts for me. The other first is the reason I started this blog, Honey Bees. Yes...Bees! Being a bee keeper is my NEW hobby, and I wanted a way to document my adventure, with this I can do more than document it, I can share it with the whole world! Isn't technology great?!!
For those of you who don't know me...
My name is Jarrod Evans, I am 27 years old, and I am very happily married to Lindsey Bunch Evans, she is 23, she is a nursing student, and she is currently Employed @ the Butler County Library. I grew up in Butler County KY, and I still live here (but I have lived other places). I work for the Butler County Property Valuation Administator, or if I wanted to sound important I could say that I am the GIS Coordinator for Butler County Division of the Kentucky Dept. of Revenue, we all have fancy titles for our jobs I'm sure, just in case...don't we? Oh, and in case you don't know what GIS is I think it would be easier for you to look it up on wikipedia than for me to try to explain it! I have two kids, a boy and a girl. They are both adopted. Baby Rae is the girl and she is 9 yrs old, Memphis Jones is the boy and he is 4yrs old. Baby is a shepherd mix and Memphis is just an ole' alley cat.

I said that it is my new hobby when in all truth I think this is actually my only hobby. I guess that is weird, ya know, me being 27 and this being my only hobby. I mean there are other things that I enjoy and things that I do often, but this is different. I like to cook and I like to travel (I have already been to Phoenix, AZ this year!! I will post some pics of that later), I'm always wanting to try new restaurants in different cities, and I absolutely love going to church. Going to church is not really something to list with all the those other things, because being a christian is a lifestyle! Not something that you just do sometimes, praising God should not only be done while @ church but I want to live my life so that it is a sweet savor to the Lord, not just while out in public but also behind closed doors. WOW guess I kinda got on a soap box there, I guess I could devote some posts to that later....
All those things I listed (and there are some others) are things I enjoy, but this bee thing, this is different. I have bought books, studied, went to some seminars, I am taking a class, and I have joined a bee club. That other stuff is casual, stuff that I do when I get time (not the church thing) and the money, But this; I am saving my money and I am making time! Anyways I am really excited, and I know that I probably sound like a geek...yeah I sound like a geek! But oh well.

This is how far I have got with my project so far:
  1. I have already ordered my honey bees. They arrive @ Kelley's Bee Co. April 11. I ordered two swarms. A swarm = 3lbs of bees. If anybody can tell me how much a single honey bee weighs I would be grateful!!
  2. I have picked a day (March 14) to go pick up my supplies. That way I can have everything assembled and ready by April 11.

Like I have already said, I am taking a class through the Butler County Extension office. Greg Drake and a lady from Warren County are teaching it. They are both beekeepers w/ multiple hives and they are excellent teachers!! We meet twice a month, the next class in the 26th of this month, and I think there are four more classes after that. I am not going to jump into this all stupid like, with no information or training!! Have you ever got stung by a bee? Yeah! Don't feel good does it! So I am empowering myself with all the knowledge I can get before I have to dump two swarms of bees out of a wire mesh box into hives. They say knowledge is power.

Well this is it, my first entry. I've covered the reason I started this blog thing, but I have a feeling I am going to end up posting about alot more than my bee adventure!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jarrod! I think this is pretty cool (although I hope you understand if I don't visit your house with the bees and all) ha ha.

    Anyway, your question about how much a honey bee weighs intrigued me so I looked it up and wikipedia says 0.218 grams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, just in case you are wondering....By my calculations (:) ) 3 pounds of bees should be around 300 bees. But who am I? Let me know when you find out!

    ReplyDelete

 
html hit counte code download
Click for free url submission service.